New information coming from Island Health regarding the physician situation in the Town of Port McNeill:
- Island Health has identified two additional temporary physicians and leased space within the community to ensure residents of Port McNeill and the surrounding region have continued access to primary care services.
- Beginning in May, Dr. Nicole Bennett-Boutilier will provide temporary primary care services, as well as coverage at Port McNeill Hospital. In June, Dr. John Fitzgerald will begin providing temporary primary care services.
- Island Health has leased space at 1584 Broughton Blvd. to use as an immediate clinic location to support primary care appointments while a long-term model is developed. It is important to note this location is not a walk-in clinic and will be for booked appointments only.
- The two physicians will also support the Port McNeill Medical Collaborative, which will remain open and continue to provide primary care appointments at this time. Dr. Armogam will continue to work at the clinic and we thank him for his continued leadership and commitment to providing health care services to the community.
- Beginning May 19, people who want to see either Dr. Nicole Bennett-Boutilier or Dr. John Fitzgerald can phone 1-866-956-2007 to schedule appointments.
- First Nations communities and individuals can also access the First Nations Health Authority’s First Nations Virtual Doctor of the Day services from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 7 days a week. Indigenous people and their family members can access the program to address their health and wellness needs. Please call 1-855-344-3800 to book an appointment.
- Island Health remains committed to the vision of establishing a health authority owned and operated primary care clinic in Port McNeill. A recent Request for Proposals for suitable clinic space has closed and the process is underway. The support of the two additional physicians and use of the leased space are considered an interim solution while the new primary care model is established and recruitment of permanent physician coverage continues.
- Island Health is also working with multiple physician partners and groups to ensure ongoing physician coverage at Port McNeill Hospital. In partnership with the remaining local physician, physicians from neighbouring communities and physician locums, physician coverage has been scheduled for the hospital.