Building in Port McNeill is regulated by the Town’s Building Bylaw No 610, 2009 and the BC Building Code. Under the bylaw, building permits are required.
BC Codes 2024 are largely based on the National Codes 2020 with some BC-specific variations to reflect the province’s geography, climate, local government needs, industry practices, and provincial priorities. Book I (General) and Book II (Plumbing Systems) together form the BC Building Code 2024.
National Code changes incorporated into BC Building Code 2024:
- Enabling mass timber construction
- Requiring rough-ins for radon safety province-wide
BC-specific changes effective March 2024:
- More complete and specific language for constructing extended rough-ins for radon subfloor depressurization systems
- Adopting cooling requirements to provide one living space that does not exceed 26 degrees Celsius
- Retaining existing ventilation requirements for systems serving single dwelling units
BC-specific changes effective March 2025:
- Requiring 100% adaptable dwellings in large condominium and apartment buildings and the first floor dwelling units in new small apartments and condominiums to be adaptable
- Reinforcement of bathroom walls to allow future installation of grab bars
- Early adopting national provisions to improve earthquake design changes for housing and small buildings with high seismic hazard values
More information can be obtained here: Board of Variance