The 2022 General Local & School Trustee Election
Nominations will open at 9:00 am on Tuesday, August 30, 2022
Campaign Period Starts Saturday, September 17, 2022
You’ve Decided to Run for Local Office
2022 videos to come! Stay tuned!
In an effort to create awareness, the Local Government Management Association, Local Government Leadership Academy, Union of B.C. Municipalities and the Ministry of Municipal Affairs worked to develop the materials for a diverse audience of prospective candidates.
Characteristics of Effective Locally Elected Officials
In order to be eligible to vote locally as a resident or non-resident property elector, a person must:
- Be a resident in the jurisdiction in which they intend to vote
- Be 18 years of age or older when they register to vote, or 18 years or older on general voting day,
- Be a Canadian citizen,
- Have been a resident of B.C. for at least six months before they register to vote,
- Have owned property in the jurisdiction in which they intend to vote for at least 30 days before they register to vote (non-resident), and
- Not be disqualified under the Local Government Act, or any other enactment, or by law from voting in a local election
Need More Information?
Laura Evans, Chief Election Officer, 250-956-3111
Christina Jackson, Deputy Chief Election Officer, 250-956-3111
View other pages